Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Welcome

Welcome to The Sexuality Challenge. The purpose of this blog is to explore sexuality in depth and to invite critical thought and discussion. My aim is to raise important, perhaps controversial, questions pertaining to various aspects of sexuality including (but not limited to): culture, relationships, media, pleasure, sex, identity, religion, orientation, social ideology, discourse, education and knowledge.

Currently I hold the position of graduate student and teaching assistant, however I come to the table with an honors degree in psychology, a certificate in sexuality and gender studies,  as well as undergraduate experience in cultural studies, philosophy, performing arts and media studies. I will be approaching this blog the same way I approach my teaching and research, which is from a postmodern, critical feminist standpoint.

In this blog, I will not be claiming to know or perpetuate any "truths" or "realities" about sexuality or its related constructs. My goal is to simply explore sexuality in more depth, and hopefully deconstruct and challenge some notions that we have come to understand as "natural" and/or "normal".

While my background and future career aspirations are academic, I don't wish for this blog to be dry, stuffy or inaccessible. I write for newspapers and magazines and so I hope the tone of this blog carries with it a similar, albeit more deeply focused, sense of knowledge, wit and enthusiasm. Thus, I will be writing with a blend of personal experience, observation, curiosity, humor and humbleness to compliment academic insight. To add to this, part of what The Sexuality Challenge implies is that, not only will I be challenging popular myths about sexuality in everyday life, but I will also be challenging myself as a sexual being. My accounts of these personal challenges and experiences will be interwoven throughout this blog. 

I feel I should point out one final (unrelated) thing: I suck dealing with technology. This blog may not be the most aesthetically pleasing or easily navigated and I apologize for that.  I will stick to the writing for now and leave the layout to the pros (and since I don't employ "pros" it looks like the design and layout will remain as they are).

I look forward to your participation in this blog through discussion posts and comments. Please feel free to email me at any time at thesexualitychallenge@gmail.com should you have questions, concerns or thoughts.

Thanks for reading,
E

No comments:

Post a Comment